Some of my friends occasionally accuse me of having a touch of OCD. I’m not sure about that but I do like to get things in order, and when you have thousands of photographs in your Lightroom catalog its often a good idea to use a standardised tagging strategy. Otherwise things can get very messy, very quickly!
To this end, over the time I’ve been using Lightroom I’ve built up a fairly extensive keyword list however it has always bugged me that its neither comprehensive, nor standardised. So one of my resolutions for 2009 was to sort this out.
You can buy exceedingly comprehensive keyword lists for Lightroom however these can cost up to US$100 for what is essentially a text file. Whilst I appreciate the work that will have gone into creating them, I decided to try and set some up for myself.
So I’m pleased to announce the first five keyword lists for Lightroom which I am providing here for free. I’m not suggesting the categories are complete, nor do I accept any liability for keywords missing, in the wrong place, or otherwise troublesome. However, now that the (sort of) legal stuff is out of the way, here’s the first five categories I’ve created:
- Geography – a list of all countries broken down by continent
- Animals – I’m sure this won’t be complete but includes over 350 animals
- Colours – Red or Crimson? A list of 42 of the more common colours
- Natural Landforms – Beaches, canyons, forest and glaciers
- Bodies of Water – Over 30 terms for that wet stuff
You can download an individual list or all of them at once from the following page: